One of the things I actually liked about the house initially was the first floor "death" bedroom (look at the floor and you'll understand the name). This bedroom was the only room in the house that had actual COLOR on the walls. Unfortunately, the color was a textured bamboo wallpaper that I'm pretty positive my cats would either a) try to eat and then throw up or b) attempt to climb. This (and the fact that I'm pretty sure there was blood spatter on the walls) made my decision relatively simple - the bamboo had to go.
I spent the better part of Memorial Day weekend ripping down the wallpaper using Piranha Wallpaper Remover that I snagged at the Southside Bargain Center for $8 (usually around $15 at the depot). This stuff did the trick, however I really think in this particular room, just getting the walls wet would have worked as well. I initially started by scoring the wallpaper, but soon realized that it would rip off in sheets easily enough. When I took down the sheets of bamboo, the glue would be left behind (which is where I brought in the spray). My only real hiccup in this room was what to do with the wallpaper around the molding. Apparently when the house was built, the wallpaper went up first and the crown molding followed, creating an issue when I tried to remove said wallpaper. Superdad told me to just cut along the perimeter with a sharp razor (which ended up working perfectly), but not to press too hard that I cut into the drywall. I think I made it work.
I also took down the chair rail that went around the entire room. I'm not really sure why I did this, as I actually liked the chair rail. Maybe I just wanted to destroy some stuff and the wallpaper wasn't doing it for me. Who knows. Regardless, the chair rail is destroyed and will not be returning. I guess this leaves me with more options for the walls!
Hi! I'm Lauren! I'm a twenty-something teacher and homeowner in North Carolina. I love math, decorating, and getting down and dirty learning new things about home renovation and repair.