This will just be a quick update on the stairs. So far, there has only been one surprise besides my missing stringer: the treads of my stairs are attached to the riser behind them with nails. Didn't see that one coming, but does reinforce the idea that the third stringer may not actually be necessary.
Update 1: The routed edge of my stairs. I'm not sure what bit I used as it was already attached to the router when I picked it up, but it worked perfectly for my stairs. I routed both the top and bottom of the tread for a semi-beveled look. On the first stair only, I routed the exposed left and right edges as well. Shout out to Carolyn and Garland for letting me borrow the router again!
Update 2: New risers. Every tread that isn't curved is getting ripped out along with their attached riser. I decided to replace the existing risers with 3/4" sanded plywood, which I sanded down again, oil primed, and painted white. In order to complete this part of the project, I bought a 4'X8' piece of plywood, had the guys at Lowe's cut it into four 2'X4' pieces, sanded and painted each piece, then measured each riser individually. I then ripped the plywood using my Dewalt table saw to the dimensions I needed. Each riser is just slightly different, but should be relatively close to 7.5". The picture below shows the dry fit of the oil primed risers.
Update 3: Fitting the first tread. You can see in the picture above that the bottom tread has a nice gap between the wall and the riser. This is because this tread overhangs on each side by 1.5", and thus hits the wall before hitting the riser. Today, I measured and cut little rectangles out of the sides to make it fit. You can see below that my first attempt was close, but not quite snug. I trimmed off a bit more and now it fits great.
Hi! I'm Lauren! I'm a twenty-something teacher and homeowner in North Carolina. I love math, decorating, and getting down and dirty learning new things about home renovation and repair.