Oh Boy!! Two posts in ONE DAY! I guess I have to make up for the lack of posting over the past two months somehow...
Well, just as the title implies, the kitchen ceiling is back up again! This is a huge milestone in the renovation process, mostly because it means that soon enough we will be able to install the kitchen cabinets, which means we'll be able to install the flooring, which means I'll be able to move in! Yippie!
The biggest holdup in the ceiling installation was the replumbing of the master bath. Now that the shower pan has been installed and Tim-the-handyman has moved the plumbing for the toilet, shower, and two vanities, AND we checked for leaks - the ceiling down below could officially be installed. Hallelujah.
Brian and I started off Saturday by prepping the walls and taking back some of the ceiling drywall that had come loose when we removed the kitchen wall (oh so long ago). While Brian was doing that, I went ahead and installed the insulation back up between the trusses. I'm hoping I got the right kind (R-13), but it wasn't the same color as the stuff I'm used to seeing (the yellow kind or the pink kind). I'm hoping the brown color just means it's "recycled" insulation.
Come Sunday, we were ready to roll with the installation of the drywall. Terry came back to help us out a bit (definitely a 3-person job), and I am so grateful that he did. The space ended up only needing 3 full sheets of drywall, and then it will need just a little extra in the back.
Brian would murder me if I left this post without giving credit to his awesome idea (that Terry and I both thought wouldn't work. It did.). My kitchen is going to have six lights, three of which are pot lights, and three of which are pendent. All of these lights require cuts to be made in the drywall, which means a lot of perfect measuring that must go on. Since we know how well the measuring has gone in this renovation process, Brian had the idea of using - wait for it - lipstick.
Yes, my friends, we traveled to our nearest CVS to purchase the cheapest stick of Wet-N-Wild bright pink lipstick for this project - and I have to say it was a genius idea. Nice work, Brian!
Notice the circular pink imprint on the drywall. By holding the drywall up against the ceiling where it needed to go, and then pressing the drywall into the light fixture, the lipstick left an imprint exactly where the light was, meaning we knew exactly where to cut the drywall (with no measuring whatsoever). Brilliant.
I even put the camera down and helped cut a little bit.
I want to say the entire process took about 2.5 hours, but then we started to mud and fixed up some other areas that also needed some drywall. Overall, I am pretty satisfied with our Sunday project!
Hi! I'm Lauren! I'm a twenty-something teacher and homeowner in North Carolina. I love math, decorating, and getting down and dirty learning new things about home renovation and repair.